Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, November 11, 2013

we're ONE but we're not the same...

first off all due credit goes to Johnny Cash for the title of this post..

Also, here is a relevant quote by Hermann Hesse: "as human beings, we can understand one another... but one man can interpret himself to himself only..."

What can I say? - Diabetes is just like that... type 1, type 2, you name it. it wreaks havoc.. some ~5.5 years ago I started treating my type 1 diabetes and some short time after that I started a pharmacy job where the pharmacist himself had type 2. At fist when I met him, he said - "welcome to the club". I thought it was a stupid sentiment at first and didn't want to be recognized for having diabetes. Later I realized that it was OK and that we had a lot in common. At the time, I had excellent A1Cs and honestly thought that he was nuts for not doing the same. It took me months to realize that fear that comes with the lows of diabetes and the lack of control. Today, almost 6 years later, I understand what he meant when he complained about 300s followed by 50s. Back then (if only for a short time of a year or two after starting treatment) I thought Diabetes was fucking cake. How wrong I was. And at the same time, the T2 pharmacist really rode the extremes (which happens)... But while sometimes we may suck at understanding one another, let us try to do that, and more (much more) importantly - understand ourselves (or do the best we can at least)....

gracias y con mucho amor como simepre <3

-Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment